Parking signs in Illinois

Illinois ADA parking sign with $250 fine

A fully ADA-compliant Illinois parking sign, current as of 5/6.

Accessible parking spaces

  • To mark accessible parking spaces, you must designate each accessible space with a sign that is green on white, with “Reserved parking” written on it, and “Fine $250”.
  • The sign should also include the International Symbol of Access in blue and white. The sign should be minimum 12” x 18”. If the space is van-accessible, “van accessible” should also be included on the sign.
  • The signs should be no more than 5′ from the front of the parking space, and on a post at least 5′ above the pavement.

See our examples of fully compliant Illinois disabled parking signs.

Towing laws

Illinois tow away sign with custom text and up to date statute

Custom Illinois tow away sign with up to date statute as of 5/6.

I’m a property owner. What signage do I have to post to warn drivers that their cars might be towed?

  • To tow, you must have a sign at every vehicle entrance to your facility.
  • This sign must have:
    • “Tow-away zone”, “Unauthorized vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense”, and who is authorized to park there—for example, “Parking for customers of Kelly Theaters only”.
    • The towing company’s name and phone number.

My car was towed. What do I do?

  • You should call local law enforcement. Laws vary between cities, so local police will be able to assist you with specific guidance.

See our selection of compliant Illinois towing signs.

Fire lane signage

  • The standard fire code requires you to post a 12” x 18” sign with 3” letters above fire lanes. In general, it’s the local authorities who set fire lane distances in the building code. You should be safe by posting signs every 25 feet, but make sure you check local fire and building codes, because they vary from city to city.

See our selection of compliant Illinois fire lane signs.

SmartSign is not in the business of providing legal advice. Make sure to check with a lawyer or your local authorities if you have any questions. Sometimes, local laws are different from what the state requires.

; ;