Parking signs in Minnesota

Minnesota ADA parking sign with vehicle ID required text

A fully ADA-compliant Minnesota parking sign, current as of 5/6.

Accessible parking spaces

  • To mark accessible parking spaces, you must designate each accessible space with a sign that is white on blue, saying “Parking” with the International Symbol of Access on it.
  • The sign should also contain:
    • The sign should be minimum 12” x 18”.
    • If the space is van-accessible, “van accessible” should also be included on the sign.
    • The sign should also have “Vehicle ID required” and “Up to $200 fine for violation” written on it.
  • The sign should be between 60″ and 66″ off the ground.
  • Access aisles should be marked with a “no parking” sign, unless the sign placement would block a curb cut.

See our examples of fully compliant Minnesota disabled parking signs.

Towing laws

Minnesota tow away sign with custom text and up to date statute

Custom Minnesota tow away sign with up to date statute as of 5/6.

I’m a property owner. What signage do I have to post to warn drivers that their cars might be towed?

  • To tow, you must have a sign at every vehicle entrance to your facility.
  • This sign must have:
    • Language saying, “Posted: Unauthorized vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense”.
    • The towing company’s name and phone number.

My car was towed. What do I do?

  • You should call local law enforcement. Laws vary between cities, so local police will be able to assist you with specific guidance.

See our selection of compliant Minnesota towing signs.

Fire lane signage

  • The standard fire code requires you to post a 12” x 18” sign with 3” letters above fire lanes. In general, it’s the local authorities who set fire lane distances in the building code. You should be safe by posting signs every 25 feet, but make sure you check local fire and building codes, because they vary from city to city.

See our selection of compliant Minnesota fire lane signs.

SmartSign is not in the business of providing legal advice. Make sure to check with a lawyer or your local authorities if you have any questions. Sometimes, local laws are different from what the state requires.

; ;