Parking signs in New York

New York ADA parking sign with updated symbol and double arrow

A fully ADA-compliant New York parking sign, current as of 5/6.

Accessible parking spaces

  • To mark accessible parking spaces, you must designate each accessible space with a sign that is green on white, with “Reserved parking” written on it. The sign should also include the International Symbol of Access in blue and white. The sign should be minimum 12” x 18”. If the space is van-accessible, “van accessible” should also be included on the sign.
  • The signs should be between 5′ and 7′ above the ground. These spaces can be marked as tow-away zones as well.
  • Access aisles should be clearly marked with signage between 5′ and 7′ off the ground saying “No Parking Anytime”.

See our examples of fully compliant New York disabled parking signs.

Towing laws

New York tow away sign with custom text

Custom New York tow away sign with custom text.

I’m a property owner. What signage do I have to post to warn drivers that their cars might be towed?

  • To tow, you must have a sign at every vehicle entrance to your facility.
  • This sign must have:
    • “Private parking”, “Unauthorized vehicles will be towed”, and who is authorized to park there—for example, “Parking for customers of Carter Music only”.
    • The towing company’s name, phone number, address, and impound lot location.

My car was towed. What do I do?

  • You should call local law enforcement. Laws vary between cities.

See our selection of compliant New York towing signs.

Fire lane signage

  • The standard fire code requires you to post a 12” x 18” sign with 3” letters above any fire lane. In general, it’s the local authorities who set fire lane distances in the building code. You should be safe by posting signs every 25 feet, but make sure you check local fire and building codes, because they vary from city to city.

See our selection of compliant New York fire lane signs.

SmartSign is not in the business of providing legal advice. Make sure to check with a lawyer or your local authorities if you have any questions. Sometimes, local laws are different from what the state requires.

; ;