Parking signs in Ohio

Ohio ADA parking sign with violator subject to fine text

A fully ADA-compliant Ohio parking sign, current as of 5/6.

Accessible parking spaces

  • To mark accessible parking spaces, you must designate each accessible space with a sign that is green on white, with “Reserved parking” written on it, “violators subject to fine” and “Minimum fine $250 – Maximum fine $500”.
  • The sign should also include the International Symbol of Access in blue and white.
  • The sign should be minimum 12” x 18”.
  • If the space is van-accessible, “van accessible” should also be included on the sign.

See our examples of fully compliant Ohio disabled parking signs.

Towing laws

Ohio tow away sign with custom text and up to date statute

Custom Ohio tow away sign with up to date statute as of 5/6.

I’m a property owner. What signage do I have to post to warn drivers that their cars might be towed?

  • To tow, you must have a sign at every vehicle entrance to your facility.
  • This sign must have:
    • “Private” and “tow-away zone”.
    • The conditions under which a vehicle can be towed.
    • The following: “failure to recover a towed vehicle may result in the loss of title to the vehicle under ORC § 4505.1(B)”.
    • Times that tow-away is enforced.
    • The name, address and phone number of the towing company.
    • The charges for towing.

My car was towed. What do I do?

  • You should call local law enforcement. Laws vary between cities, so local police will be able to assist you with specific guidance.

See our selection of compliant Ohio towing signs.

Fire lane signage

  • The standard fire code requires you to post a 12” x 18” sign with 3” letters above fire lanes. In general, it’s the local authorities who set fire lane distances in the building code. You should be safe by posting signs every 25 feet, but make sure you check local fire and building codes, because they vary from city to city.

See our selection of compliant Ohio fire lane signs.

SmartSign is not in the business of providing legal advice. Make sure to check with a lawyer or your local authorities if you have any questions. Sometimes, local laws are different from what the state requires.



; ;