Parking signs in South Dakota

South Dakota ADA parking sign with state permit or license required text

A fully ADA-compliant South Dakota parking sign, current as of 5/6.

Accessible parking spaces

-To mark accessible parking spaces, you must designate each accessible space with a sign that is green on white, saying “reserved parking”, “state permit or license required”, and “$100 fine and Class 2 misdemeanor for violators” with the International Symbol of Access on it in blue and white.

-The sign should be minimum 12” x 18”

-If the space is van-accessible, “van accessible” should also be included on the sign.

-Access aisles should be marked with a sign saying “Wheelchair access aisle”, and “Absolutely no parking”.

See our examples of fully compliant South Dakota disabled parking signs.

Towing laws

South Dakota tow away sign with custom text and up to date statute.

Custom South Dakota tow away sign with up to date statute as of 5/6.

I’m a property owner. What signage do I have to post to warn drivers that their cars might be towed?

-To tow, you must have a sign at every vehicle entrance to your facility.

-This sign must have:

-Language saying, “Unauthorized vehicles will be towed”.

-The removal agency’s name and phone number.

-Limitations on who can park there. (For example, “Parking for customers of Bullock Hardware only.”)

My car was towed. What do I do?

-You should call local law enforcement. Laws vary between cities, so local police will be able to assist you with specific guidance.

See our selection of compliant South Dakota towing signs.

Fire lane signage

  • The standard fire code requires you to post a 12” x 18” sign with 3” letters above fire lanes. In general, it’s the local authorities who set fire lane distances in the building code. You should be safe by posting signs every 25 feet, but make sure you check local fire and building codes, because they vary from city to city.

See our selection of compliant South Dakota fire lane signs.

SmartSign is not in the business of providing legal advice. Make sure to check with a lawyer or your local authorities if you have any questions. Sometimes, local laws are different from what the state requires.

; ;